Thursday, July 22, 2010

Welcome to the waste

Well I started Fallout 3 and I'm enjoying it so far - though I do wonder if it will outstay its welcome like Oblivion did. When I first started playing Oblivion I loved the open world nature of it and spent hours carefully exploring and levelling up, then after about 40-50 hours of that I got tired of doing the same old quests with minor spins, visiting remarkable familiar tombs and finding loot that was worse than the kick ass equipment I already had.

I'm hopeful that the variety in Fallout will be much greater and that the story will continue to tick along nicely, but I have a nagging doubt that such will be the case. At the moment I've spent a few hours escaping from Vault 101, exploring the local area and doing a few quests in Megaton - so there is still plenty to see and do. Let the good times roll. What I do like is the VATS feature as it gives a fun edge to combat, though I have to say that manual aiming can be a nightmare at times due to the rather bizarre movement exhibited by some A.I.

The reason I'm soldiering on with a new game at all is thanks to the fact I finished GOW 2 on Insane difficulty and Co-op in one fell swoop. The only section where you HAVE to have a second controller is when running through the giant worm stomach - everything else can be done solo with two pads, though obviously having an actual partner would speed things along. I'll probably get started on Horde fairly soon depending on how quick I find some likeminded folks.

I've also made a bit more progress on Lego Harry Potter, as my girlfriend finally agreed to play it again (I'm only allowed to play Lego games in co-op with her, ha ha). So we polished off all of the levels in the first year and a couple of the second. Only 16 more levels to plough through, for collectables and characters, until I'm done. Then a few misc achievements will see me at the full 1k. Nice and easy.

No comments: