Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Exploring the waste

I'm really enjoying Fallout 3 at the moment, I'm not sure what it is about the game that appeals to me but being able to ramble through the wilderness exploring every nook and cranny is just so wonderfully entertaining. I think the main appeal is that every new area has something weird, creepy or disturbing to see.

Entering a weird Vault, filled with mind altering gas, and having to cope with bizarre visions as you try to loot the place is just something else. Same goes when you stumble across a town infected with giant ants. Or even a man merged with a tree. It's a great miz of funny and threatening moments and, even though the variety of the swag seems limited at the moment, it keeps on drawing me in.

Early doors I went on a Scrap Metal search spree, as you can use the metal to gain near infinite amounts of XP via a strange theft/speech loop. Which is all good if you ask me. So I went ahead and levelled up to 20 (with brief stops along the way to snag the neutral/evil achievements). I suppose you could say that I have spoiled the fun somewhat (though I am still grinding up to level 30 now) but for me the enjoyment here comes from just roaming the wide open spaces as opposed to seeing what skill is next up on my roster - especially as none of them are that overwhelmingly powerful anyway.

I've done a whole bunch of the main sidequests but not much of the actual story really. I decided to do a bit of Bobblehead hunting first and maybe scour the land for some juicy weapons and the like, the story can come along when I'm ready for it, ha ha!

No comments: