Monday, February 22, 2010

Idiots, boosting and everything in between

I tend to read the blogs of other gamers, as they often hit on amusing little things that happen to us all. Obviously Stallion has a blog about his quest to hit 1 million gamerscore, and it has had a lot more traffic since his gamer spotlight feature recently.

Anyone who has read the blog will have seen the amount of hate he gets which has only seemed to intensify recently. No doubt most of them are just jealous, or possibly hackers that have been reset at some point and hold a grudge. My real issue is just how many uneducated people seem to exist on Xbox Live that know nothing about achievements.

I remember being on the Xbox forums last year and arguing with a guy about gamerscore and cheating. He claimed (amongst other things) that getting 1k on Avatar in five minutes was a major glitch (no really......) and that simming sports games to get achievements was also a serious glitch. Obviously he was clueless and I enjoyed putting him straight, which led to the usual response when someone has no argument - a personal attack on me and an attempted mockery of the games I played.

Anyway, it staggers my mind that people can launch so many attacks on the top guy for gamerscore without knowing even the basic facts. That you can play all formats of games if you own a console from that region, that you can play multiple copies of the same game IF they have unique achievement lists for each and that there is not even a shred of evidence on Stallion's card that he hasn't fully played every game.

Seriously, with all the haters out there if they actually had any legit proof it would have surfaced by now - so why do they continue to rant on? Perhaps they should sit down, learn some facts and then play the games they want to. Instead of finding time in their hectic, hateful lives to try and insult other people. I would also recommend English lessons for the majority too - please stop your torturous use of grammar I BEG YOU!

In other news my pursuit of Seriously in Gears has ground to a halt. Mainly because I've been playing Bioshock 2 online with Rich, Smit, Fro and Rand (plus whoever else we can find, ha ha). The multiplayer on that game is a lot quicker to plough through so I'd rather get it done and dusted now when I know people are available. As of now I'm up to rank 30 (out of 40) but still need something like 40,000 more points, half of which are for the last two levels alone. Still it should only take about five or six hours to get that bad boy done with, which will see the game completed as the Rank 40 achievement is the only one I'm missing. For those of you on the fence you should really pick the game up - I had a lot of fun with it and, while the story wasn't as solid as the first one, it was well worth it.

The boosting did throw up some interesting topics of conversation. Mainly that Rand uses the word 'nub' a lot to describe pretty much everyone, the fact that Fro is in a feud and also that both of them wanted to nominate each other for the gamer spotlight feature, and then decided it should be me instead. Smit tried and failed to tell his woodpecker joke. Rich bemoaned getting screwed over in boosting sessions (which is a cardinal sin). Fro and Rand have apparently had a naked jello fight - but you didn't hear that from me. Also, Rand is able to eat a steak and baked potato in less than ten minutes. Good times.

I think boosting is always made easier when you can have a bit of fun to take you mind off what is, usually, a very repetitive task. The MP in Bioshock is fun but frankly not good enough to really hold my attention for too long - so playing with people I know made things a lot easier and meant the time passed fairly quickly.

I've also started playing Alien verus Predator on my gg's account - mainly as I don't want another MP heavy game cluttering up my tag - should have the review up this week at some point. The single player is decent but not mind blowing, though I have heard much better things about the online stuff so we shall see.

I've also started the single player on Modern Warfare 2 now that Spec Ops is out of the way. So far I have flown through the game and snagged all of the intel along the way. It's fun but not the mind blowing experience that so many reviews claim it to be - too much of the story seems to draw on similar levels from the original Modern Warfare. Hopefully I will get it done this week as well and that will be yet another game done and dusted. Boom sauce.

I've also hit another minor milestone, as my completion ratio is now at 88%. Just another 2% (which is about 5k in points) until I am where I want to be in terms of completions. Then I can focus on getting up to 200k. Yay!

3 comments:

JJBDude said...

It really is a shame about haters, it gets on my nerves but what can we do about it? We can putting them straight but it doesn't work and there's too many of them to try and "correct"

Although MW2's story wasn't amazing it was definitely good enough to engross me and make me grateful for buying the game. Good luck on your Bioshock 2 boosting, sounds like you're enjoying it.

Unknown said...

In my opinion people "hate" on other people because they're jealous. That's not anything new obviously but that's what it boils down to. If people can't do what Stallion or Jackanape is doing by earning a lot of GamerScore, then they become jealous, and try to get you guys to recognize them by sending messages your way.

Of course this will never change and people will always hate on other people. It's just the way of the world unfortunately. By the way Jackanape you say you read other gamers blogs, right? Have you ever read mine by any chance?

Unknown said...

I think some people are also trolls who act ignorant and mimic the real ignorant people by sending stupid messages when they have a bad day.