Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Faster than you can say antidisestablishmentarianism..........

A cookie for however gets that quote, ha ha!

Anyway, I mopped up the Modern Warfare 2 and - brace yourselves - I didn't think it was that good. This happens a lot when I play a game that people rave about for months on end and I'm left decidedly underwhelmed.

I don't want to post any spoilers, even though I'm sure everyone else has finished the game months ago, but for me there are some pretty gaping plotholes and the 'twist' as it were makes little to no sense and is barely explained thereafter. Now I enjoyed it as a nice tactical shooter, and finally being rid of infinite respawns is a breath of fresh air, but it was nothing I hadn't seen before. For me the first Modern Warfare still reigns supreme, as the missions were fresh, the plot interesting and coherent and the multiplayer a dream. I just worry that we will see more of the same now that EA have apparently jumped on the bandwagon with Medal of Honour.

I actually saw an article where the developers of the new MoH game flat out denied that they had moved to a modern setting because of the success of COD..............yeah, right. Anyone who can't see that EA's sudden shift in setting is linked with one of the most successful game launches EVER must be high. Why even deny it? It kind of annoyed me to be honest, like they were saying it was a fresh, original idea they had thought up ages ago. It reminded me of 'old' EA who would just buy out, imitate and bully their way to success back in the day, I thought times had changed and 'new' EA were full of fresh IP's and good times. We shall see.

In other news my completion of Bioshock 2 draws closer as well. I'm sitting pretty at rank 38 online, and will need another 12k worth of ADAM to be done. Though with the impending DLC raising the cap to level 50, you can bet that there will be a linked achievement so it makes sense for me to boost as high as I can right now so I have a head start on that nuisance.

Overall I have probably spent about four or five hours playing the game legit, and then a further ten boosting. I do enjoy playing the game as it was meant to be, but I also don't like the fact you can often get mismatched teams and that NO ONE EVER SPEAKS! When you are trying to co-ordinate on a team game then some communication would be nice. Though I did have one epic game, when I joined in the last round of Capture the Sister and became the Big Daddy. I got a fifteen kill streak, completed three trails and ended the match with nearly 900 ADAM from three minutes work. Good times.

Boosting is obviously eaiser and faster, but you can only watch the hacking animation so many times before it becomes laughable. Still I'd like to finish the game this week and then I can focus all of my efforts into NHL 09 next week when I'm off work. It's the only one I haven't got the full 1k in so it would be nice to have the complete set. If I get that done faster than expected then I will move onto Gears of War to play all of the Annex DLC, which will leave me with Seriously to get back to as we took the week off for Bioshock 2.

I've also been delving into a bit of Aliens vs Predator in my down time, though I couldn't face another MP grinding game so slung it on my girlfriends tag, and it's a lot more fun than I first thought. I don't know if it has the chops to challenge some of the triple A titles, as the single player is pretty damn short and far too linear. It also doesn't have that fear factor that I felt when I first played the PC original back in the day - which would have been the big draw for me. Still the online package is solid enough and that will probably be of more interest to the majority of people.

No comments: