Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ups and downs

It's strange how one week I can play games pretty much every night and then the next I will hardly play them at all. I've been in a bit of a lull since my last post and not really devoted much time to any game in particular, though my overriding goal has been to chip away at FFXIII as much as I possibly can. I'm about twenty five hours in now and the linear formula is still very much the same - though I'm surprisingly not as bored as I would have expected to be, so the story is clearly making up for the games obvious gameplay failings.

I've also made a concerted effort on the Resident Evil 5 DLC as well, mainly because I've had the evil Versus mode on my hard drive for months so I just wanted it done. Typically this completely breaks with the formula I'd worked out in order to achieve 90% completion but what are you going to do? I play things as the mood takes me really. In any event I've done all of the two player achievements I can, and now I'm just waiting on Rich and Smit so that we can do all of the Team achievements. Frankly the MP is a total snore fest and grinding out 30 wins in each mode is amazingly unfun, it takes about three hours per mode so you are looking at a major investment of time for something that is not that much fun. I also played the Lost in Nightmares DLC which was fun for the most part, but fairly generic. Just need to tackle it in Pro mode and then I'll be done. That would just leave me with Desperate Escape to complete - I'll probably tackle it solo in order to unlock Pro moe and then get a buddy in to finish it off.

Secondly, I finished off the Dragon Age: Awakenings DLC and wrote a review for it. Frankly it was a lot shorter and simpler than I was hoping for, with a lot of clearly borrowed content from the original title and some very poor glitches. Fair enough that you can't bring all of your uber equipment from the original game when you import a character - but having to watch the opening cutscene with your leader in a pair of pants is a little much. Just bad testing methinks but it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth and there are numerous other examples of sloppy worksmanship.

I also did my first bit of Gears boosting in about a month so hopefully it will become a regular thing again as I really want to put that bad boy to bed once and for all. Have to get back to Annex mode as well - sigh.

Last night I broke loose though and started Prison Break, managing to get more points in the first chapter of that game than I had over the entire preceding week. Methinks it will not take long to complete it fully so I will press on and do so, then get a review sorted too. With the next batch of Lips DLC on its way to me the reviews will be coming thick and fast for the next couple of months. Anyone who has seen the line up of games that are due will know what I'm talking about.

Bring on the pain.

No comments: