Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Completion Challenge shenanigans

I recently mentioned an upcoming Completion Challenge over on x360a.org. Whereby the goal is to officially complete (as in: have all of the achievements) as many games as possible. The idea behind it was to help people who had been in the recent gamerscore league to tidy up their gamercard's of all the crap they had been playing for points.

Now I didn't take part in said league, but I do like having a bit of motivation in order to complete a host of games I've had sat around for far too long. Most of the titles in question are actually Arcade games, ones that I bought in any one of countless XBLA sales and then never actually bothered to play. In that respect I have over 100+ games sat on my hard drive that have yet to see the light of day. But now that is about to change.

I decided to do as much prep work as I could in terms of completions, so that I could literally start up a game in January play it for (at most) five minutes and get the last achievement I needed so that it would count as a completion. Thankfully there are plenty of games that allow me to do just that and here is what I have lined up thus far:

The Expendables 2 - just need a 50 kill combo, which I can easily get right at the start of one level thanks to unlimited respawning enemies.

Shinobi - need the 300k points achievement. I've made a save right at 299,960 points so this will take me seconds to accomplish.

Virtua Fighter 2 - last achievement is for inputting a code on the menu. Will take seconds.

Fighting Vipers - as above, I just need to select a characters alternative outfit and I'm done.

Sonic the Fighters - another game where I can get an achievement via the menu and be done.

Track and Field - just need to spear a bird in the javelin event, which is pretty much the easiest thing I could have left.

I'm also working on a few retail games too and if I could snag them in January it would make things a touch more respectable. I'm hoping to do the Halo ODST Endure achievement this week - which would just leave me needing to complete one last Firefight mission to be done. This weekend I've also arranged a boosting session for Ghost Recon Future Soldier and will hopefully knock out the online DLC achievements I need - which would leave me with some single player DLC to mop up, easy enough. Finally, we have Condemned 2 which is the furthest from being done - but I would like to put in a bit of time to get it completed if I can.

Outside of those titles I have just started the original Streets of Rage 2 arcade title, plus I'm hoping to finally play through the new Sherlock Holmes game as I've had it sat around for a few months. For some crazy reason I'm also making a concerted effort to complete Texas Hold 'Em though that will require on a stroke of luck if truth be told as I will need a Royal Flush to get the last achievement so that could happen any time - or it could not happen at all. I'm hoping to get all other achievements in that game done and dusted though, and then just pray that I get lucky.

After those have been tackled it will be back to focusing on arcade games that I can chalk off fairly quickly and easily and the line up is pretty much the same as it was before. I'm looking at doing the first couple of Sonic games, plus Monkey Island 2 and the Golden Axe and Streets of Rage Vintage collections as well. After that it will come down to how much time I have - as I know there are numerous games on my account that I could blitz through if given the chance. Of course, anything I play before January will be left with one measly achievement to get - in a bid to help my in my quest for success.

Will it work? I doubt it, but time will tell.

No comments: